The Tides Of War Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

The men were looking at, but now in amazement. He explained the mortar had to be set up approximately 100 yards from the buttress in order for the shell to clear it.

He then let each man fire it, changing the settings to 60, then 50 then 45 degrees. Each time he had the men pace out the distance to the fired shell.

By the time of the tenth shell, the tube was very hot and it was noticed the range dropped off. This was due to the pipe expanding as a result of heat generated by the ignition of the charges that propelled the shells. The expansion permitted some of the propelling gases to escape around the shell, David explained. To combat that, water should be poured over the tube to cool it.

He spent an hour answering questions, then directed that each 50-man troop would need to select 12 men to fire the four mortars.

"You have 59-tails and five solid shells with which to practice, gentlemen, so make them count," David told them.

He left them to collect the practice bombs and return the mortar to the armoury.

Returning to his office, David started on the pile of documents Para had left on his desk. Last Post blew as he closed the door to go to his quarters.

Over the next eight days David was kept busy getting up to date with the changes that had occurred in the Command and managing the rigorous training program. There were 43 men now training in the Panther troop, soldiers from Tiger and Cobra were marched out to receive instruction in the mortar, whilst other troops had drill or musketry or horse training.

Spring was approaching, its normal promise of renewal overshadowed by the certainty of the violence that would accompany it.

Subedar Major Turin had introduced a competitive award to the musketry drill. Those who scored 95 or over were awarded a small silver badge of a rifle that was to be pinned to the chest. Those awarded it also received 20 Rupees a month extra. Competition to win it was fierce in the ranks.

The blacksmith had five mares that were in season confined to the small paddock and

the tailor had at last delivered 50 more overcoats.

Subedar Major Para had added to the Prince's guard with three former British Army recruits who were in their late forties and married. He also informed David that accommodation on the same street had been found for the families.

The Hospital had been completed and an annex had been added to create a bedroom and bathroom. Hanga had furnished it after a trip to the city.

Of such events, great and small, was the fabric of a frontier garrison woven.

The lookouts report of riders approaching alerted David.

He was standing outside on the wooded walkway when Ashar Kahn and Susan rode through the gate accompanied by a small mule cart with a horse tied behind it.

David's eyes were on Susan; she was dressed in tight cream coloured jodhpurs, black riding boots, and a white open-necked shirt under her opened safari jacket. Her hair was in her now familiar "horses tail" swaying beneath the broad-brimmed hat perched on her head.

They dismounted and Ashar Kahn came forward with his hand extended, whilst Susan was petting the grey Arab mare she had been riding.

"Colonel Sahib," Ashar began, "I have brought you a replacement for Sulkie. He is from the Prince's own string, but broken to the saddle already."

David glanced at the horse tied behind the cart. It was almost as big as Kahn, a jet-black stallion with Arab blood in him he judged.

Susan came up to him and surprised him with a kiss on the cheek. "Hello David what do you think of Tana? Isn't she gorgeous?" she bubbled happily.

David chuckled, "And I bet you spoil her."

He invited them into the lounge whilst men took care of the horses.

He poured out whisky for himself and Ashar Kahn while Hanga made tea for Susan.

Once they were settled, he asked her how she was settling in. Her face radiated happiness. It seemed a building just outside the Palace walls had been made available to her. It had been stripped and cleaned, then repainted by an army of workers.

Susan had her supplies and equipment stored in it. There was provision for six beds and a small laboratory for her microscope and test equipment. The front of the building was arranged into a reception and dressing station.

"I have two assistants that I'm training. Both are daughters of the Ghurkha guards," she said, obviously proud of her achievements.

"Memsahib Susan's happiness inspires confidence in all who meet her," Ashar Kahn added with a smile on his face.

David was surprised at Ashar's use of her Christian name. She had obviously made a conquest there he thought.

"So what brings you out here?" he asked her.

"Well, you said I'm responsible for your troops and that they needed instruction on medical aid and . . ." then she grinned, "it also it gave me a chance to ride Tana."

Ashar and David laughed at her admission.

"Well, your aid station is complete. When you have finished your tea Hanga will show it to you."

As she left with Hanga, David asked Ashar how well she was really settling in.

"The people are suspicious of a Doctor, more so because she is a woman," Ashar replied, "It will take time for them to overcome that. But they see the Ghurkha families bringing their children to be treated. I have also ordered any of my men in the stables who are injured to go to her."

David changed the subject, "Has the Prince had any word from his agents in Afghanistan?"

"Only that there is more Russian presence in Kabul, but the roads and passes are as closed to them at this time of year as they are to us."

The talk turned to horses, it seemed Tana was one of the Prince's daughter's horses, but she no longer rode. The stallion was called Thor, after a northern European god. Ashar said the Prince had named him. He was six years old, older than Kahn, but a strong fast horse.

Sulkie was doing well and should drop her fowl in six months, Ashar predicted.

Susan returned, enthusiastic about the Fort's hospital. Hanga was unloading the supplies for it from the cart, along with her suitcase. It seemed, he was informed, that she would be staying for a few days.

Susan went to clean up and change after her ride and Ashar Kahn took his leave, saying he had to return to the city.

David detailed a rifleman to request the Fort's officers to report to his office in an hour's time.

Susan had changed into a skirt and blouse when she reappeared from her quarters.

The four officers were already present in the office as he presented them to her, "Memsahib Doctor Fletcher will be instructing our men how to give medical aid, both in battle and here in the Fort. Two men from each troop need to be selected, and two men from your command Subedar Major Para, making ten men in all. They need to report for training tomorrow at eleven at the hospital."

He stood back as the Officers began questioning her.

Later, in the lounge, as they waited for Hanga to lay the table, Susan commented on how nice his officers were. David chuckled, thinking to himself that "nice" was not among the words he suspected would come to mind if she could see them in battle!

During dinner he asked if she was happy at her decision to come here to India?

"Oh David it is everything I dreamed of and more. I feel I can be of real benefit to these people and practice medicine the way it should be practiced; not as a result of wealth or privilege."

He smiled at her enthusiasm, her green eyes reflecting in the light of the oil lamp like two emeralds.

Later, as he escorted her back to her bedroom, she had linked her arm in his.

They stood outside the door she looked up at him and murmured, "I don't consider you a diversion David."

He was startled for a moment, then looked at her, slowly lowered his head and kissed her. Her lips were so soft and warm, and for a brief moment he forgot who he was.

He raised his head and saw a tear slowly rolling down her cheek, "Susan please forgive me I had no right to do that," he stammered.

She smiled, wiping the tear, "I've been wanting you to do that ever since the night on the ship," she whispered.

He watch as she entered the door, his heart pounding.

The next morning, after breakfast, they took Kahn and Tana out for a ride. At one point, after a fast gallop, they dismounted to rest the horses and he kissed her again, her arms around his neck, clinging to him.

They rode back to the Fort slowly, glancing shyly at one another.

David knew he had fallen in love with Susan. He knew he had been attracted to her from the first meeting, but he had never suspected that she could have feelings for him. She had always struck him as very self-assured young woman who was devoted to her profession.

Hanga took care of the horses after they dismounted and she rushed away to the hospital where a crowd of riflemen were waiting.

He didn't see her again until five, when she entered his office.

"So how did it go Susan?" he asked.

She smiled tiredly, "Very well, considering. They're all keen to learn. I've started them off on basic first aid and dressings. Tomorrow we'll go onto resuscitation and trauma wounds. Later I'll set up some tests with them using each other as patients."

"You look tired Susan," he murmured.

She smiled again, "Not really, but it's been an interesting day in many ways. The men were telling me about the conditions up at the Pass. You do know that the men idolise you? I heard how the Colonel Sahib has improved things for them with clothing and facilities to make it more bearable for them. How the Colonel Sahib been present at every engagement with the enemy. How the Colonel Sahib . . . "

"The men talk too much," he growled.

"Perhaps, David, but it's the truth isn't it? You do fight every time the Afghans attack.

The men also told me how they would kill themselves rather than be taken alive by them.

You knew that when I spoke of William, didn't you? The same could happen to you," she quietly sobbed as she said it.

He took her into his arms, "Susan, I guessed as much regarding William. But my job is to lead these men, and I can't do that from behind a desk."

"David, I don't know what I would do if I lost you, now that I've just found you"

"It will never happen. Two-hundred kukri-wielding Ghurkhas will see to that," he chuckled.

Later, as they were having dinner, he asked her how she was getting along with the Prince.

She chuckled, "He's not at all like I imagined a Maharaja to be. He is dressed like a European most of the time when I have seen him. I eat with him and his daughters if I'm back from the hospital in time."

"I've never met his family" David replied.

"He lost his wife three years ago, but he has three daughters and a son. Prince Izarb, his son, is six; then Princess Isasar, who is eight; Princess Ishwar, who is fifteen; and, finally, Princess Yasmin, who is nineteen.

"Tana was Princess Yasmin's horse, but she had never ridden her. She is suffering from what I suspect is a respiratory infection. I've started her on a course of drugs that have had good results back home."

She smiled, remembering, "When we eat, we sit at a table and use knives and forks, just like back home. I asked him why, once. He said that during his college days he had learnt a lot that he admired about English manners and customs."

David laughed, "Yes, and an appreciation for malt whisky."

Later, in the deep shadows cast by the porch at her bedroom door, he kissed her goodnight.

"I'll see you in the morning darling," she whispered.

But the next morning, he was prevented from joining her on the ride by a letter and newspaper delivered from the Prince by a rifleman guard from the Palace. The headlines were about a Colonel Kitchener who had been appointed Major General of an Army given the task of retaking the Sudan.

This Army was to be equipped with modern bolt-action rifles. The article went on to detail how many British troops that would be employed and what numbers of Egyptian and Sudanese troops would be added to this force.

David was already aware of this. London had been abuzz with it while he was there. He looked at the date of the paper, noting it was over three weeks old.

He frowned in thought about why the Prince had sent it. Then, when he opened the paper it became clear.

The Prince had ringed a small article in ink. It stated that the modern rifle to be employed by Kitchener's Army was similar to the Mauser rifle being developed by the Germans, in that it was a bolt-action magazine rifle capable of holding several rounds of ammunition.

It listed several European countries who were showing interest in it, Russia being one of them.

David remembered what Peter had said about the Mauser; that it was equally as good as the Lee Winchester bolt action, but fired 8mm ammunition.

The rest of the day was spent in conference with his Turin and Sultar, discussing the problem of the lookout shelters and how to make them large enough to house ten men.

It was finally agreed that the quickest way to solve the problem would be to build them, from blocks of the same type that had been used on the blockhouses.

While certainly this construction would offer sturdy protection against both the cold weather and enemy attack, it required a solution to the problem of lifting the heavy blocks up the 500 feet to the crests. It was decided a trestle and block and tackle would have to be found and assembled at the summit. Turin said he would speak to Hagar about obtaining the equipment, and the means to transport it to the site.

David found Susan by the stable fondling Tana, Kahn looked on expecting an apple.

He took two from the bowl in the lounge before joining her. Kahn whinnied at his approach, thrusting his head forward to be cuddled by him.

Susan laughed at his antics, "He really does love you."

David smiled, "He's special," he replied, giving him his apple.

She looked amused watching Kahn chew the apple.

Handing her the second apple, he said, "Here try Tana with one."

Tana looked at it, then sniffed it before taking it in her mouth and chewing.

"You're giving her bad habits Mr. Ramage," she said coyly as they turned to go into the lounge.

Hanga asked if she would like tea, as David poured out a scotch for himself.

"I must find out where to get a bottle of Sherry," she chuckled, then responded to Hanga telling him tea would be fine.

Replying to his question about the progress of her students, she said they were doing very well and that tomorrow they would begin packing the medical bags they would carry in the field.

"I shall issue them all some chloroform, along with all the other items they'll need. I'm going to have to order more from England. The Prince said he would send the order when I'm ready. Have you given any consideration on how you will get stretcher cases back to the Fort?" she asked.

David had a sudden thought, and leaving Susan's question unanswered for the moment, asked her, "You know chemistry. Is there any simple element or compound that can give off a sustained bright light when ignited in open ground?"

Susan frowned, "The one that springs to mind is Magnesium, why do you ask?"

David's face beamed, "Of course, I knew I had heard of something that might have those characteristics," he then went on to explain why he needed it.

"It's not the most stable compound, once burning it's hard to put out. Water only makes it burn more intensely," Susan muttered.

"Better and better," David enthused, "can you ask the Prince to order say, fifty pounds of it?"

Susan nodded slowly. "But how would you use it," she asked.

"We will need to experiment with it to find out how to ignite it and deliver it. But we'll find some way of doing it," he said happily.

Chapter 21

Susan departed two days later, escorted by two riflemen. Their farewell had been hard for both, each making the moment last as long as possible.

It was a week after that Para, Hagar, Turin and Sultar unexpectedly entered his office one morning.

David frowned seeing the officers.

Subedar Major Para broke the silence, "Colonel Sahib, you command the 1st Khana Rifles is this not so?"

David nodded.

"Is it not also true that the men of the Khana Rifles are Ghurkhas, and that a Ghurkha is not a Ghurkha without a kukri?"

Again David nodded, now even more curious about the purpose of the conversation.

"And yet, Colonel Sahib, there is one man in your command who does not wear a kukri."

David's face was creased in thought trying to think to whom they could be referring.

Then Turin brought from behind his back a sheathed kukri. Its hilt was ivory with silver-chased bands around it.

Para continued, "Colonel Sahib, you are that man. It is not fitting that you do not wear one," he said as Turin presented it to him.

David was overcome, "Gentlemen, the honour you do me with this gift is beyond any words that I am capable of expressing. Needless to say I shall wear this in full knowledge of the traditions and courage that mark a Ghurkha."

David learnt afterwards that it had been ordered two months ago by one of the rifleman, who had returned to Nepal on home leave.

One of the advantages of issuing home leave had been that the returning men returned were invariably accompanied by more volunteers for the regiment.

David examined the kukri after the men had gone. The fifteen-inch blade was razor sharp, easily slicing off the hairs on his arm.

With Susan's Tana gone, David was able to move Thor into the stable alongside Kahn. At first Kahn resented the fuss David made of Thor, but eventually grew to accept him.

At Officer's Call, Sultar brought up a question that some of the medical team in his command had posed. It was Susan's unanswered question: How would men seriously wounded on the crests be brought down to the valley?

David considered the question. It would be very dangerous to try carrying a stretcher down the steep paths.

"The obvious answer is to lower the stretcher down, which will mean having a block and tackle trestle on both crests," he said.

"Also, how do we intend to get the wounded back to the Fort?" Sultar asked.

David chuckled, "It is clear the medical teams take their positions seriously."

Turin said the road within the Pass was not that good, owing to frequent rock falls, but stretchers could be carried to the entrance slung between mules and then transferred to a cart for the journey to the fort.

Which then raised the question of mules and carts. The Fort only had two mules and one cart, which used by Subedar Hagar for trips to the city for replenishing stocks.

David made a note in his book, promising to bring it to the consideration of the Prince.

"We must now turn our attention to Panther Company," David said, "We now have sufficient men to make up a troop. Subedar Major Para's men have been commanding it up to now, but we need to decide who within the troop should be promoted to lead it. I would like you to discuss this amongst yourselves and give me your recommendations." At that, David brought the meeting to a close.

It was two weeks later that David was free to visit the city. Mounting Kahn, he informed Hanga that he would be away for several days.

David had been hoping to get away before this, but something always came up that demanded his attention. Now, at last, he was now free to go. It was, of course, necessary, in part, to secure mules and a cart for the hospital, and to organise the heavy wagons and building material for the Pass. But he knew the underlying reason for his urgency was to see Susan.

As always, he was shown into the presence of the Prince by Peshawar. After the usual greetings, they got down to business. David's requests were soon sorted out, the Prince telling him to see the Horse Master for his requests for draft animals and the necessary carts and wagons.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers