The Tides Of War Pt. 05

Story Info
Part 5.
  • February 2015 monthly contest
8.8k words
4.83
63.4k
11

Part 5 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

Chapter 19

Two porters were required to assist with their luggage. Susan had three large suitcases, mostly taken up by reference books, she claimed.

Their staterooms were port and starboard. David told her to take the starboard one, as she would get more sun that side.

His stateroom was bigger than his quarters on the Comet, but he noticed eight years at sea had taken its toil on the furniture and fittings. His steward helped to unpack while he went out to the deck to check the loading of the cargo.

Once satisfied everything was on board he returned to the cabin.

At dinner that night he learnt that, whilst 12 passengers had bordered that day, 46 were due to board the following day.

Susan was looking around excitedly. This was the first big ship she had ever been on, although she did confess she had travelled to the continent on a cross channel steamer.

They stood by the rail waving as the tugs nosed the Sky out into Southampton water.

"I wonder how long it will be before I see England again," Susan murmured.

"Getting home sick already," David chuckled.

"No," she smiled sadly, "It's just the thought of the great unknown that awaits me."

David glanced at her, a young woman travelling to a distant land, to some extent completely on her own apart from him. She had to be extremely brave - almost stubbornly so - to undertake such a mission. His respect for her grew with each passing day.

He had warned Susan not to mention his, or her, future involvement with Kanda, explaining explained the Prince's problem with the British Administration and its Army.

"John Company would dearly love to get their hands on the wealth of Kanda," he told her.

She asked one day, whilst they were sat in deck chairs with rugs over them, how he had

become connected with the Prince.

She deserved his complete honesty, so he explained about the court martial and the circumstances leading up to it, and how he had no option but to resign his commission.

"But if there were witnesses when this Captain turned tail and ran, then surely the charges should have been brought against him," Susan said angrily.

David chuckled, "Captain, the Honourable Clarence Fitzroy, is the son of General Sir Reginald Fitzroy, Commander of the British Army in that region. What is the cost of a Lieutenant's career, against the honour of a family that has served British Army for over 400 years."

"But that's not honour, but nepotism," Susan snarled.

"Susan, could you, a woman, have become a Doctor thirty years ago? Doctoring was considered to be a man's profession. That was a similar form of nepotism."

Once the ship entered the Mediterranean, dances were organised in the dining room twice a week. A small band sailed on the ship and performed most evenings.

He and Susan had attended one or two of them. The Military Two Step and the Viennese Waltzes were favoured by the passengers and Susan was in demand to partner some of the ship's officers. David could not fault their choice; Susan was by far the prettiest girl on the ship.

They celebrated Christmas and New Years at sea, and Susan had kissed him on the cheek as 1888 changed to 1889. He had remembered the softness of her lips long after the party ended.

When the ship passed through the Suez Canal, Susan clapped her hands in delight at the sight of a camel caravan plodding along the far bank.

Her face was beginning to turn a golden brown from hours spent on deck with her head buried in medical reference books.

David, on the other hand, spent hours in his cabin reading and re-reading the mortar manual, until each aspect of its function was memorised.

One night, as the ship crossed the Arabian Sea they were standing on the stern looking at the phosphorous created by the ships wake. The heavens ablaze with a thousand stars.

"David," she murmured, "this voyage has been magical. On nights like this I can really believe there is a God."

He looked at her touched by her faith and thinking of the other side of the coin. He had seen abject poverty and suffering. He had been a part of battles where men had fought each other with unrestrained brutality, using every skill and trick they could muster to kill before they themselves were killed. Where was God then he thought?

Her voice interrupted his thoughts, "David do you have someone waiting for you in Kanda?"

He chuckled, "A 180-odd men and two horses, why do you ask."

"No," she continued, "I mean do you have a sweetheart waiting for you?"

He shook his head, "No Susan, my life is pretty full looking out for the men at the Fort and Pass."

"But you must have met someone before going there, didn't you?"

He hesitated before replying, "I did meet someone once, who I was attracted too. But it seemed I was just a distraction for her. As it turns out, she didn't like India or the people. What about you? You must have had men falling at your feet."

She smiled, "Of course there were suitors at University and the Training College, but they all suffered from the Victorian mentality that a woman's place was in the home having children. I want a man that will treat me as an equal."

David laughed, "Well in Kanda, you may well get your wish, seeing you are the only white woman there."

Susan smiled, "And by all accounts, you are the only white man there. Interesting, isn't it?"

David was taken back at her remark, his mind trying to understand it.

As the ship docked at Karachi, David searched the crowds lining the dockside for Mr. Smithers, finding him at last, and breathing a sigh of relief.

Susan was standing with her eyes wide and with a smile on her face as she took her first look at India.

Mr. Smithers was waiting at the gangplank as they disembarked, with a crowd of porters to take charge of their luggage.

David introduced Susan as Doctor Fletcher and Smithers doffed his hat as he kissed her hand. He said the train was due to leave at two, which only gave them three hours to unload the crates and get them on board.

He went on to inform David that their journey to Kanda from the train's terminus would be conducted by wagon due to the river being in flood with winter rains.

Under the insistent supervision of Mr. Smithers, the crates and luggage were offloaded from the Sky and expeditiously transported to McLeod train station in order to be securely loaded aboard the train prior to their departure. David and Susan each retained a suitcase, which the train's porters placed in their compartment.

As the train pulled out Susan had her face against the window, determined not to miss a thing.

Although David found the familiar journey tedious, the sights that passed by the window enthralled Susan.

Before the train was due to arrive at Ismal Deri Kahn, David excused himself, took his suitcase to the toilet, changed into his safari suit and buckled on his pistol belt. Hat in hand, he returned to the carriage.

Susan said she needed to change too and left with her suitcase. When she returned his mouth dropped open; she was wearing a suit just like his, complete with hat.

She laughed at the expression on his face, "I think the expression is, 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander.' I bought two sets in the shop, but I had to alter the trousers to fit my waist," she explained.

David had to admit she did look rather fetching in them, with the way they emphasised her slim figure. She had brushed out her long auburn hair, which, tied with a green silk ribbon, now hung down over her. He could not help thinking how it resembled a sleekly brushed horse's tail.

He spotted the Prince's agent as the train pulled into the station. When he climbed off, the agent hurried over. David could see mule-drawn wagons backing up to the goods van, half a dozen men around them. The agent explained everything was being taken care of and they would get on their way as soon as all was loaded and accounted for.

As David carried his and Susan's case towards the wagons, he suddenly realized the men were his from the Fort. Although the men wore common Indian clothing, there was no mistaking the kukris sheathed in their belts.

One was smiling with a smile that almost split his face, and David recognized Subedar Sultar. David extended his hand to him. Sultar hesitated, his own hand caught at the beginning of a salute, then he grasped David's, murmuring, "Colonel Sahib it is so very good to have you back again."

David suddenly remembered Susan who was standing back with an amused smile on her face. David introduced her to Sultar as Memsahib Doctor Fletcher. Sultar bowed his head in acknowledgement.

As the smiling men loaded up the wagons, Sultar informed him they had horses waiting at the edge of town. The enigmatic smile that accompanied this announcement puzzled David.

Its meaning became clear when the small convoy reached the grove where the horses were tied. Kahn was amongst them. He leapt down from the wagon and rushed over to him as Kahn began to whinny. David wrapped his arms over his head talking to him.

Susan came and stood alongside of him, her eyes bright, "David he's magnificent," she whispered. Kahn bent to sniff her hair as she stroked his neck.

"We have brought a spare horse, if the Memsahib Doctor wishes to ride," Sultar said.

Once out in the country, the men removed their rifles from where they had been hidden in the wagons, and slung them over their shoulders.

Susan was mounted on a bay mare and soon fell into the manner of riding that the men used. David was asking how things were at the Fort and Pass.

Sultar said the pass had become blocked by the winter snows three weeks after he had left. Turin had managed to build the second blockhouse, although blizzards had raged at the time.

There were now 275 men at the Fort, and Tiger and Cobra were now up to full company strength.

They had 350 rifles now and all the men were now issued with them. They were training 40 of the new recruits in musketry and horsemanship. Of the new men, 27 were former British Army. Most had served only one tour with them, and were in their twenties.

The Horse Master had brought word of David's impending return, bringing with him Kahn. When Turin learnt of the river's state, he had issued orders for Sultar to meet the arriving train and escort the Colonel Sahib back to the Fort, along with another who was expected to arrive with him.

Susan was riding by the wagons, questioning the drivers about the names of the birds and vegetation along their route. She seemed enchanted by it all.

That evening they pulled off the road into a clearing alongside the river and the men began to make a camp for the night.

Sultar apologised that he hadn't brought a tent for the Memsahib, not realising that David's companion was a woman. Susan laughed, saying it was of no consequence, but was touched when two of them returned with armfuls of long stemmed grass to form a mattress for her bedroll.

The meal that night was the usual goat stew with rice. The cook looked worried as he handed Susan her plate, but beamed when she cleared the platter and mopped up gravy with her bread. Sultar posted guards, who discreetly moved away when Susan disappeared into the undergrowth.

At break of day they continued their journey. By late noon they reached fork where the road to the Fort diverged from the route to the city.

Sultar redistributed the loads on the wagons, placing Susan's crate and luggage in the lighter of the two wagons. Susan handed him the reins of her mare and climbed onto the wagon alongside the driver. Informing Sultar he would be returning to the Fort the following morning after delivering the Memsahib Doctor, David pointed Kahn toward Putan and they set off for the city, arriving as the sun set.

Peshawar met them at the steps of the Palace, and while servants took care of the luggage and Susan's crate, conducted them to a room where the Prince and Ashar Kahn waited to receive them. Susan's eyes opened wide when she saw the Prince dressed in European clothing.

"Your majesty, I should like to present Doctor Susan Fletcher, MD. Susan it is my honor to introduce his Royal Highness, Prince Hazid Ibram Kahn."

David saw the faint smile on the Prince's face at the formality of the introduction.

The Prince bowed to Susan and kissed the back of her hand. "Doctor Fletcher, I would like to introduce my uncle, Ashar Kahn, Guardian of the Royal Stables."

Ashar Kahn bowed, "Memsahib it is a pleasure to meet one so lovely as yourself."

Susan blushed at the compliment.

David smiled, "Horse Master the Memsahib Doctor will have need of a horse."

The Horse Master smiled, "I shall be delighted to show the Memsahib Doctor some of the royal herd, though I fear finding one to match her beauty will be difficult."

Susan and Ashar Kahn moved to one side and began talking.

David took the opportunity to tell the Prince what he had done in England and about Susan wishing to practice here in Kanda.

"It seems my friend, that you are a man of many talents. Not only do you solve military problems, but also our medical problems as well."

David told him about the £1000 he had given Susan to buy the necessary equipment and medicines and hoped he hadn't overstepped his authority.

The Prince chuckled, "David I told you that you have a free hand in everything. I must arrange a suitable location for her to open her clinic and arrange quarters for her in the Palace. But I have to say, David, that I most heartily approve of your choice of Doctor he finished with a smile.

It was David's turn to blush.

Over dinner that night, he asked Ashar Kahn about Sulkie. He replied with a smile that she was going to make him a grandfather. It seemed that Kahn had not been idle whilst David had been away. David agreed with the Horse Master that she should remain with him during her confinement, but said he would like to see her before returning to the Fort.

The next morning David and Susan followed Ashar Kahn down to the stables. Sulkie was in a small paddock nibbling fodder, her back to David as he arrived. He stood by the rail and called her name softly. He saw her ears twitch. He called again. She lifted her head and, with a snort, came galloping to the rail pushing her head against his chest as he fondled her.

"Hello darling have you missed me?" he murmured in her ear.

"David, you have a way with the girls it seems," Susan chuckled beside him, "But I don't blame you she's beautiful," she said stroking Sulkies neck.

"She's a hussy, aren't you Sulkie, letting Kahn have his wicked way with you," he said chuckling.

Ashar Kahn was standing behind them smiling, "Now we must find something for the Memsahib Doctor"

Mounting Kahn, David took his leave saying he would return in a week or so. His smile of farewell communicated to Susan a fondness that she returned in her own smile.

Chapter 20

David drew Kahn to a sudden halt by the gates of the Fort. The entire garrison was drawn up on parade. Turin stood proudly in front of Tiger Company, whilst Sultar stood in front of Cobra Company. A Havildar stood in front of the rest of men on parade.

Subedar Major Para cried out, bringing the men to attention and then to the present arms. He turned, giving David a fierce salute. David returned it, slightly shocked at the transformation of his command.

Then Para turned, dismissing the Parade, and suddenly, his officers, keen to welcome him home, surrounded David.

When he finally entered his quarters, Hanga had already poured out a whisky for him before going to attend to Kahn.

At officers call the next morning, he listened as they reported the progress they had made. Turin reported the blockhouse was built, but had no stove installed. Hagar reported that he now had three stoves similar to the one currently in use, as well as two smaller ones for use in the lookout posts. The tailor had delivered 50 overcoats.

Sultar said coal was difficult to burn on a wood fire, but worked fine in the stoves. He added that they had created a stockpile of it before leaving the Pass.

Para reported that Ghurkhas were joining at the average of four a week, now mostly from Nepal.

When they finished, David told them about the mortars, explaining their function and directing that training would begin with Turin, Sultar and their Havildar's. They, in turn, would train the men and select 12 men from each half troop to fire them.

He then turned to Para and Hagar, telling them the Fort would soon have a Doctor. Accordingly, a building would have to be found to turn into a hospital and dressing station and provisions made for quarters for the Doctor.

Hagar said there was a storeroom near David's quaters that could be utilised for it.

David warned it must be scrupulously cleaned and freshly whitewashed inside, and have windows. Hagar said one end of the room could be converted into a bedroom.

David said he would check it before work began.

He followed Hagar down to the armoury where the crates containing the mortars and shells were stored.

Once the crates were open, he set a detail to removing the protective grease in which they had been transported. He showed Hagar the shells and tails, pointing out the significance of the tin safety cap. He ordered that the shells and tails be stored separately.

Later that night Turin came to see him. They sat outside smoking as he asked what plans David had in store for the coming spring thaw.

"I think, old friend, we will have a major battle on our hands when the Pass opens. We are going to have to change our tactics. If, as I suspect, the Russians do attempt to use artillery, they will need to use a spotter to register where the shot falls. That can only be achieved from the crests, so they will need to clear out our lookouts first.

"Also, we will need to move the horses well away from our encampment area. The Cleft will be garrisoned with a full 50-man troop, with 10 men on each crest. We will have to find a means of sheltering them because, if an attack does come there, it most certainly will be at night. My only problem at the moment is to devise a method of creating illumination up there if an attack does develop.

"We will also need to send out regular patrols to the Pass at the end of February to check if it is clearing. I mean to be there as soon as we can to start finishing off the camp."

Turin said I'll need to check with Hagar to see if he has acquired a further 25 sets of furs. Yours, by the way, I gave to Hanga.

The next morning Turin, Sultar and eight Havildar's - the combined Havildar's of Cobra and Tiger Company's - drew a Mortar from the armoury, and four green painted shells and sixteen tails from the magazine. They met David outside the Fort.

David stressed that a firm area to assemble and mount the mortar was essential. Once an acceptable firing point was found, he talked them through how to assemble it. David could not help noticing the doubtful glances the men gave it.

David explained the marks on the baseplate and the function of the plumb bob. He then explained the difference between the solid shells they would use today for practice and the explosive shells they would use in battle. He finished by showing them how to clip a tail to the shell and then, finally, how to remove the tin end cap.

He watched as Turin and Sultar set the mortar up at a 70 degree firing angle. Then, picking up the mortar shell, he ordered them to cover their ears.

Once he was sure they were clear, he let the shell slide down the tube.

There was a loud bang and the mortar shuddered on the baseplate.

David could actually see the shell climbing. It reached the top of its arc and then fell straight down, raising a puff of dust. David started to pace out the distance. At 1125 paces, he reach the shell.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers