All That Glitters - Notes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bigtddybr
bigtddybr
1,112 Followers

Hwill'illiti'hallat Member species of the Interspecies Community. The Hwill'illiti'hallat are slightly smaller than humans being no larger than 170cm in height. They are similar in shape and size to humans but have skin of a burnt orange in colour. Their vocal apparatus allows them to speak in many of the languages of the other intelligent species, except the Djinaëte who are the only ones who can speak their language without using a translator. First seen in chapter thirty-five.

Maha-Rrin The Wise ones, a.k.a. Piscium B Society. Mostly peaceful, a society of scientists. The planet they live on is geologically extremely active which has led to the collapse of their society on several occasions, from which they have slowly rebuilt. The society has now finally settled all parts of their new home world, and out into space, which means that the collapse of society on any one part of the world will no longer affect the forward momentum of the society as a whole.

The Maha-Rrin are the sister species of the Pod-Drran. Both left their original home world when it was destroyed by a rogue planet and settled separate planets with the admonition from their Goddess not to interfere with each other.

Paacon Member species of the Interspecies Community. The Paacon are large, flightless, bird-like creatures. Their ancestors surrendered flight for mass and intelligence. The Paacon are similar in appearance to the Terran Ostrich with larger necks and heads. They also have arms with hands in place of wings. They have large beaks and are omnivores, eating virtually anything put before them as their ancestors were scavengers. Adult Paacon can live to be 100years. First seen in chapter thirty-four.

Pod-Drran The Strong Ones, a.k.a. Piscium A Society. The Pod-Drran are an intelligent but warlike species whose government is run by the Warrior Class. They were not originally part of the Interspecies Community and were first contacted by humans before humans contacted the Greater Community. First seen in chapter eighteen.

The Pod-Drran are the sister species of the Maha-Rrin. Both left their original home world when it was destroyed by a rogue planet and settled separate planets with the admonition from their Goddess not to interfere with each other.

Sandekk Not currently a member species of the Interspecies Community. The Sandekk are the other intelligent species on AsocAR, the home world of the Asocans. Highly intelligent, the are also extremely long-lived, often living for more than 2,500 years. There are Sandekk alive who remember the advent of the Djinaëte. Like other long lived species, they tend to breed very slowly. This has caused the Sandekk some issues of late as their numbers are dwindling.

The Sandekk as slightly taller than the average Asocan (two meters) at the shoulders and their bodies are 5m in length, with a flat tail almost three meters long. The tails are used to propel their large bodies at speed through the water. The can run or swim for hours. Their heads are held on long necks that can reach the ground when they are standing.

The Sandekk have no civilization of their own, sharing the Asocan civilization though they do have a society and language of their own. The Sandekk love to sing, their songs being the history of their people and events. First introduced in chapter fifty-three.

The Sandekk have decided to move to a planet of their own as they recognized that they will never have a civilization of their own unless they separate themselves from the Asocans.

Toolend Member species of the Interspecies Community. Highly intelligent beings that look superficially like Terran cephalopods with ten tentacles that can be used alternatively as arms or legs. The Toolend are among the tallest of the Interspecies Community, averaging around 250cm. The Toolend are the only known natural telepaths in the community of intelligent species and one of the longer lived species, sometimes exceeding 450 years of age. Their home world is called Multan, which in their language simply means 'Home'. First seem in chapter thirty-four.

Umick Member species of the Interspecies Community. Another species that is similar to Terran lizards, though they have no tails. Their skin is leathery, though not as thick as the Asoc. As their ancestors were prey species on their home world, they tend to be timid and skittish. The Umick are short, not being taller than 170cm and often only around 150cm. They tend to be thinner with longer legs and arms and capable of running at high speed for extended periods. First seen in chapter thirty-five.

Ruhm-Oran The original Piscium planet. The destruction of this planet in the Piscium system happened roughly 24,000 years ago, most likely because the large gas giant now known as Piscium-8 came into the orbit of the original planet causing it to break up at a time in human history that was the equivalent of the early stone age. This created the asteroid belt in which the series principally takes place and which is being mind by Mining Platform Liramor-23.

The people of the doomed planet watched in horror as Marat-Zami (The Great Destroyer as it was called by the people), wandered into its orbital plane, destroying the planet. The people held a lottery and one in ten million were saved, from two different factions of the people.

These two different factions settled two nearby habitable planets with the admonition that they not interfere with each other. This pact is still in effect. The two planets became what is now known to Terrans as the Piscium A (Pod-Drran) and B Societies (Maha-Rrin).

The Piscium societies, especially the Pod-Drran, still intern their revered dead in cemeteries in the Piscium system. Last internment in a Piscium system cemetery by former members of the Piscium people was less than 360 years ago (in 2122).

Technology

24th century technology is amazing, with devices that we only dream about being commonplace.

- Wrist Comp Often called the 'personal comp', or simply referred to as the 'comp'. This is a miniaturized marvel of the wrist computer everyone wears in order to stay in contact with others. The devices are used as cell phones, as computers, to navigate the interplanetary internets, as a means of purchasing things via electronic money transfer, of scanning the surrounding flora and fauna, as medical scanning tools, and other mondain tasks. The comps can scan most devices that are used as tools and incorporate their functions in an app on the main page, thus providing a means of using the functions of those tools without having to carry them. While comps can mimic the functions of the tools the scan, they are often not as accurate as the original tools, thus, when a specialist needs to do work, they will often use original tools to do it. The general public usually does not need this kind of accuracy and are quite content with what the comps provide. The exception is medical devices, which the comps can mimic with greater accuracy or will decline to allow the use of the functions of the original device on the comp for safety reasons.

For security reasons, comps are individualized to the owners biometrics so as not to be capable of being used by another.

The comp consists of a thin, flexible, metal band which includes all of the miniaturized components, that fits around the owner's wrist. It is capable of projecting a 3D, holographic display that allows the user to perform all necessary functions. They can connect with other devices such as other comps, the internet, and larger 3D monitors so that more than one or two people can view the images produced by the device.

As with any device, the more expensive the device, the more capable and secure it will be. Those owned by the power elite are very capable, very secure, and very much blinged out systems often constructed with precious metals and gems.

- FTL Drive The physics that control Faster than Light Drives is not intuitive and was originally developed in 2359 by a series of very fortunate scientific mistakes. FTL drives allows ships to jump great distances by using the power of Dark Matter. Dark Matter maps of the universe show that they trail in lines between stars, clumping at a star's gravity well. A ship with an FTL drive can move along these Dark Matter lines.

Originally limited to 12ly leaps in smaller ships, the drives slowly became more capable until they were able to moving large ships to distances of over 30ly. With the new Marilon/Aruna generators and more advanced FTL drives, distance of more than 65ly are now manageable in the smaller fast ships and distances of 45ly in larger ships. Newer Jump-grid technology provided by the Interspecies Community is making even greater distances possible.

- Gravity Plates These devices allow for an artificial gravity environment to be available in space. They are normally fixed into the decking of most vessels and allow humans the benefit of having a gravity managed environment.

Gravity plates can be reversed, thus allowing extremely heavy loads to be moved. They can also be used to provide lift chairs for those who are injured and pallets for heavy loads. Sean Murphy uses a lift chair frequently in the beginning of the series.

- Light Distances:

Light Second = 300,000 km

Light Minute = 18,000,000 km

Light Hour = 1,080,000,000 km

Light Day = 25,920,000,000 km

Light Year = 9,460,528,000,000 km

- Marilon Generators Created in tandem with the FTL drive, Marilon generators provide the means to produce enormous amounts of raw electric power by tapping into the background radiation of Dark Matter. The generators can release their power in a controlled stream or all at once. When used in burst power mode, they are capable of supplying the immense power needs of the FTL drives. The downside of burst power mode is that it tends to deplete the generator of power until it can recharge, a process that can take four to six hours dependant on the age of the generator. The generators also need to rest for several hours after having been used over a string of five jumps. This adds to the time in transit for ships in long distance travel.

- Marilon/Aruna Generators Often referred to as M/A Gens, these have a modification of the power control in the new generators designed by Dr. Ohiraha Aruna, which allows it to finely control the amount of burst power it supplies. This gives more control in how the power is used in shorter jumps, giving ships the ability to multi-jump by not using all available power, thus saving power for a second immediate jump.

A normal Marilon Generator uses the same amount of power to initiate a jump of five light years or to initiate a jump to the maximum capacity of the ship. The new generators allow for the ship to short jump and not use all available power, thus retaining power for a second jump so long as the ship does not do a maximum distance jump. The combined distance of short jumps cannot exceed the maximum distance permitted by the respective FTL drive without being recharged. The user must also take into account the power needed to initiate a jump, ergo a ship that can jump 65ly can jump four bounds of 15ly and still have some power left over at the end.

The limitation of the M/A Gens use is that it requires the same amount of power to jump five light years to initiate any jump, thus short jumps of a few kilometres will still use the power necessary to jump five light years.

The fine tuning of the power consumption also allows the generator to recharge much more quickly, usually a fully depleted M/A generator can recharge within an hour. It also does not need to 'rest' so can jump to it's max jump range once every hour. The new generators also do not age like their predecessors, meaning they will continue to work in the same fashion throughout their working life, unlike the former generators which get 'older' and require more time to regenerate power. This makes for a significant improvement on the older standard Marilon Generators which had been used by humans for more than a hundred years.

Ship Identifiers

Ships are identified in a number of different fashions. The two most common are the abbreviations before the name of the ship (see Glossary) i.e. PV - private vessel/yacht, and the colours of the ships.

Ships are normally mono-chromatic, one solid colour, i.e. ships of the Terran Union Government Authority are coloured in the solid blue colours of the Union flag, while Navy ships are a flat black colour to help them hide against the background of space. Most commercial supply ships are white in colour with the crest of the company above their name. Some companies will paint their livery on the ship, but this is an exception, as the cost is prohibitive. Company yachts and the privately owned vessels of the rich are usually painted in the owner's livery.

SECOND TIER

LIST OF CHARACTERS BY LOCATION:

Terra, The Sol System

Terra (TE), is the original human home world.

- Capital City Seat of Union Government, the Terran Union Governmental Authority (TGA). It covers roughly a quarter of the North American Continent from what was once Toronto in the North-East to what was once Denver in the South-West.

Anar, Hanalei PGMDS-TU (Presidential Gold Medal for Distinguished Service - Terran Union), DMOA (Dame Member of the Order of the Alliance), MB (Medal of Bravery), CMGPSM (Citizens Meritorious Gold Police Services Medal), Gurn Piscium. First Wife of Fayad Piscium, who she met at Denders Resort, Terra. Widow of Temet Halar, who she suspects that Andjuran's people had killed. Taken in by Andjuran's household when she is declared 'Fullohd' (unlucky). She is a spy for Andjuran, whom she hates but gives herself to Fayad, who she was asked by Andjuran to spy on, when she discovers him to be a pious man with a future. Hanalei then spies on Andjuran on orders from Navy Intelligence and IPPF and successfully brings down the Senator. She earns 10% of all of Andjuran's wealth as a finders fee from the IPPF. She marries Fayad, becoming the senior wife of the Piscium household and has their first child, Ikekia Fatema Tema Poda-Rai-Dosri to whom she is known as 'mommy'. Soft brown hair, deep blue - almost purple eyes, very well formed and beautiful woman, twenty-four years of age when we first meet her in 2483. She marries Fayad two years later and gives birth to Ikekiya in 2486. First seen in chapter twelve.

Andjuran, Wasim, Sen. Senator for Planet Anuura, one of three, member of the Senate Human Resources and Refugee Committee (HRRC) from which he is syphoning funds. Chief Cleric and Senior Elder for the Church of Andanii. He despises women and has altered the Church of Andanii to accept that women are second place to men. First seen in chapter eight.

Scoundrel with links to many criminal syndicates. He is in league with the pirates and is bribing or blackmailing many of his fellow senators and anyone else he deems of use to him.

Alternately reported as 'The Spider', 'The Snake', or 'The White Raven'. Short, thin man with dark hair and eyes.

Abreu, Jacqueline Spokesperson for the entertainer Ciara Collins who sets up the Interspecies 'Partnership Concert' at Denders. First seen in chapter thirty-six.

Aubuchon, Angelique Chef extraordinaire and current owner of the family restaurant, 'Chez Aubuchon'. Love interest of President Wilford Holloway who she marries in chapter fifty-seven. First seen in chapter fifty.

Aubuchon, Antoine Chef extraordinaire and retired owner of the family's namesake establishment, Chez Aubuchon. First seen in chapter fifty.

Anduura, Najmaddin Aide and Intelligence gatherer for Senator Andjuran. Minor character who acts as communications link between Andjuran and many of the criminal syndicates he associates with. Elder in the Church of Andanii and right-hand man of Andjuran. First seen in chapter eight.

Collins, Ciara Up and coming super star singer/entertainer on the Union entertainment nets. Sets up the idea of a 'Partnership Concert' for the Interspecies delegates at Denders for their final day of the First Denders Summit at the resort. First seen in chapter thirty-six.

Dalman, John Joseph, RR D. Div (Doctor of Divinity), The Right Reverend John J. Dalman, leader of a right-wing televangelist and religious leader of the Church of the People, her is a rival to Reverend Mike Hollister. Dalman seeks to gain the disenchanted more right-wing members of Hollister's group when Hollister changes his group's direction by declaring that aliens have souls. First seen in chapter sixty.

Fith, Martin Ciara Collins' Manager/Producer and Producer of the Partnership Concert held at Denders Resort. First seen in chapter thirty-six.

Hollister, Charles Youngest son of Reverend Hollister. First seen in chapter seventeen, first identified by name in chapter fifty-three.

Hollister, Mike, RR D. Div (Doctor of Divinity), PBMDS-TU (Presidential Bronze Medal for Distinguished Service - Terran Union). The Right Reverend Mike Hollister, a right-wing religious zealot and Televangelist who helped to modify the content of the entertainment channels when Senator Wassim was trying to establish aliens as dangerous to the Union. He holds sway over millions of viewers from his TV ministry. His attempt to confront the aliens and the President does not go as planned and he loses face on more than one occasion. He turns his views around over the placement of the clutch of Drane Mutt Hoylle and Verned Mutt Shumett in the swamp at Denders, declaring first that aliens with intelligence have souls, and then that the placement was the correct thing to do to save the family. He is approached by the President's team to help prevent Terrans from discovering that the Union was actively aiding the Asocans during the event with Unaayel and receives the Presidential Bronze Medal for his service. First seen in chapter seventeen.

Hollister, Milla Wife of Reverend Mike Hollister. She divorced him when he embarrassed himself with the President by making use of imagery of the President to make him look bad. First identified by name in chapter fifty-three.

Jagandar, Anna, Dr. Chair of the Nobel Prize Selection Committee who advises Dr. Aruna Ohiraha that she has won the prize for 2483. First seen in chapter twenty.

Leary, James The right-hand man to Reverend John Dalman. The person who finds targets for the Dalman's tirades against aliens. First seen in chapter sixty.

Linder, Maria, Dr. D.P.T. - Doctor of Physiotherapy, a member of the Union Op Oran medical team. First seen in chapter sixty-four.

Linge, Theona, Dr. D Med, D Med Adm (Doctor of Medical Administration), head of the delegation of 500+ medical Union staff from Terra going to OP Oran at Pod-Saar. First seen in chapter fifty-four.

Marstan, Ralph, Dr. Paramedic Doctor who comes to the assistance of Temet Mutt Sin in the center of the Southern Market District of Capital City, Terra. He has no experience with Asocan physiology and is assisted by Harsgarrand Ikekiya and Zarreniya. First seen in chapter sixty-four.

Marple, Jane An administrator of the 'Nanny Comp' system that controls access to the internet for underage children and helps to develop their curiosity into useful studies. She is interested in the Piscium children. First seen in chapter fifty-eight.

bigtddybr
bigtddybr
1,112 Followers