The Rise of Family Fielding

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What makes you say that? As far as I can tell you are healing fine. You are not sick some other way are you?"

"Naw. Business is just slumping. They's two young smiths moved close by and they are taking a lot of my business. They are just starting out and are cutting prices on their work so I do not get as much to do. One would have been good because I had too much to do at times but the town just will not support three of us."

Tony sat a moment watching Elizabeth interact with the ladies and listened to them laugh as they cleaned up after the meal. As he sat, he thought about what Jack said and about things as he remembered them at his home. He turned once again to Jack and said, "Jack, if you are really thinking about moving away from here why don't you come with Beth and me? I think we could use another smith down home unless one has moved into the area since I left for the Army. The closest one we had when I left was over six miles away and he was getting old and slow."

"Ya know boy, I just might do that. That is if it will not bother you none for yer wife's ole man ta tag along with ya."

"It will not bother me at all. I think it would make Beth happy to have you close to us and I am sure we can use you back home. I do not know exactly what I will do when I get back. I may be able to help you some if you need it. I am not sure I can do farm work now with my leg injuries."

It took another two days for them to load the equipment from the shop and the personal items Jack wanted to take. When they finished, their little family group had three wagons filled almost to overflowing with things they were taking with them. It worried Tony somewhat moving that much expensive, highly desirable gear with only two men to guard and work the wagons but he didn't know what to do about it. He said as much to Jack and was told, "Well, son, I know what you are saying. I 'spect we could get Hiram to come along if'n ya wants. He is a little slow but could drive a wagon just fine and he is a good helper in the smithy. His woman is not much better but she is the quicker of the two.

"Ya seems ta work well with him. I 'spect we would have ta wait 'nother day for them ta pack if ya wants ta take him and he wants ta go."

"That would work. I am getting worried about being on the road this late in the year though. I do not want to delay any longer than we have to. We might be better off to stay the winter here."

"Naw. We will be fine if we get out of the hills in the next two months and we can sure do that. From what you tell me it is only about a thousand two or three hundred miles. With the fine roads they have now we should make eighteen or twenty miles a day. With good weather and no problems we could be to your home before Christmas easy. It will not be too bad traveling that early in the year for sure."

"Yes, I suppose you are right. I am just worried about the Ladies."

"Well ya do not have to worry none, son. Your Elizabeth has sand and knows about the cold and I am sure Hiram's woman Mary does too. They all growed up here 'bouts and lived in the cold winters all their life."

Early the next morning the men hitched the teams to the wagons and moved them near the buildings containing the items to be loaded. They had hired several local men to help load and were done by early evening. They spent the rest of the day saying good bye to friends then went to bed early so they could get an early start.

The days on the road were long, tiring and becoming colder as they progressed. To everyone's great joy the trip was unremarkable except for the excellent time they made. They encountered their first major trouble in St. Louis nearly two months after leaving Elizabeth's former home. They had pulled into town late in the day and each set out to take care of errands before meeting at the hotel for the night. The ladies had been shopping for food and items they needed to perform what household chores they did on the trek, leaving the list with the storekeeper to be picked up the next morning. The men spent the time inspecting the wagons and harness, making repairs as needed.

Just after dusk the men entered the hotel lobby, headed for the restaurant to meet the women for supper. The hotel had a lobby in the center and to the left in a separate room, a bar. The restaurant was to the right, entered through a door beside the desk.

When the men entered the building they saw Elizabeth and Mary trying to get past two rough looking men and enter the restaurant. The men were loud, obviously drunk, and insisting the ladies come into the saloon with them for a drink. Tony took three rapid steps toward the men and barked, "THAT IS ENOUGH! Take your hands off those ladies NOW Miller."

The largest of the two pushed Elizabeth away and turned toward Tony. He sneered at Tony and snarled, "You aint my Sergeant no more asshole and I will have a drink with these wimmin iffen I wants ta. Now mind yer own bidness or I will make ya."

"This is my business Miller. Not only is one of these ladies my wife but it is obvious they do not want to drink with you. Now, get before you get into something you cannot get out of."

"You got no right ta order me around no more. I have had all I can take of you." As he said that, Miller began to draw his pistol. Before it cleared his holster there was two loud bangs. He got a shocked look on his face just before he dropped his weapon and slumped to the floor. His friend stood staring at Tony, hands held to the side and said, "I do not want any part of this Sergeant. It was all Miller's doing. If you will let me I will just be on my way now."

"PVT Thoms, I think that is a good idea. I suggest you be more careful choosing your friends. This is not the first time Miller got you in trouble but I guess it will be the last. After the law is done with us I suggest you ride out of town."

"Yes SGT. Thank you SGT."

As the conversation was ending Elizabeth rushed into Tony's arms and stood holding him. They both turned toward the door with everyone else when a policeman stormed through the door saying, "What is going on here?"

After everyone gave their story about the altercation and death the policeman allowed them to return to their business. Tony and his group entered the restaurant for their delayed supper. During the meal Tony explained that Miller and Thoms had been Roughriders with him in Cuba. "I am afraid they were not very good soldiers, but Thoms was the better of the two. The world is better off without Miller."

The next morning the small group resumed their trek to Roland, Missouri, Tony's small hometown just outside the little metropolis of Steelville. Roland was about three miles from Steelville by road and consisted of a half dozen houses, a school, and his grandfather's small general store. There was a corner of the store that served as a Post Office and they sold beer and whiskey in a small add on room. As was common in those days, the store was the gathering place for the small community and sold anything and everything the community needed from food to clothes, tools, implements and feed for livestock. In addition they purchased extra produce and other farm raised items from locals.

The weather was mild for this late in the year and they made good time down the road. It only took them six and a half days to reach Rolla, MO where they stopped for two nights for rest and to replenish their supplies. They also made minor repair of their equipment. Early on the third morning they mounted up and headed for Springfield, MO.

Five days after leaving Rolla they camped about three miles from Springfield. Tony was becoming excited about getting home. He knew they were only about eighty miles or so from Roland now. After they had the camp set up for the night Tony told his friends and wife he wanted to go into town to purchase supplies to take with them.

Elizabeth said, "Why do we need more supplies, honey? We just purchased supplies in Rolla and we are not out of anything."

"I know, Dear, but grandpa always has to hire teamsters to bring stock for his store from Springfield. I thought I would purchase some items I remember him selling a lot of and take them with us. I am sure he will refund our money for the supplies and pay a little for the hauling. Even if he does not, I will only buy things I know we will use. I want to get some seed corn, wheat and oat seed and some vegetable seeds for our garden. I will also buy some feed grain and I need you to pick out items you know the ladies would want."

"Oh! I can see the reason for that. You are very thoughtful and it just makes sense to fill all the space in the wagons. Waste not, want not."

It took most of the next day to purchase and load the supplies in the wagons. The following day the small wagon train once again moved out, this time on the last leg of their long drive. Tony had been on the road a total of nearly four months, counting the time he spend at Elizabeth's old hometown. He had been away from home for almost two years and was anxious to see his family.

Slightly before noon the small wagon train came upon Wheatland. They stopped long enough to water the animals and let Tony speak to the few people he knew before they moved on. They were only about seven miles from Roland now and they all were excited to be at the end of their trip. Just after noon they rattled down a small hill and came upon a beautiful valley with a stream wandering through it. From the crossing they saw a group of buildings about 3/4 mile southwest.

Tony stopped in the middle of the stream crossing to let the animals drink as he looked toward the little town. He wrapped his arm around Elizabeth and said, "Well, Honey, there it is. Roland, my, no, our home." He flicked the reins and got the mules moving once again.

Several people turned to look as the wagons moved into what served as a street in the small village. In reality, it was only a trail through the cluster of houses. Tony pulled up in front of the largest building in town and said, "This is grandpa's store. He lives in the back and has a couple of rooms he rents upstairs. Over there is Pa and Ma's house."

As Tony began climbing off the wagon an older woman came running from the house Tony pointed out as his home. "Tony," she yelled. "You are home. I was so worried about you. Your Pa and brothers are at work. I will send Lisa (his younger sister) for them. Who are these people with you?"

Tony helped Elizabeth down off the wagon and wrapped his arm around her before saying, "Ma, this is my wife Elizabeth."

His mother covered her mouth with both hands and said, "Oh, my. Oh, where are my manners." She quickly moved to Elizabeth and hugged her then stepped back and said, "Welcome to the family Elizabeth."

Tony then introduced the rest of the group. He looked around and said, "Where is gramps? I have some supplies I bought in Springfield for him."

"Didn't you get my letter son? Your grandfather died almost six months ago now. We do not have much in the store now and only open it when folks come to the house asking about buying something. Most folks either go to Wheatland or Steelville now."

"Damn. I hate to hear that. I will miss him. Now what will I do with the supplies I have?"

"We will worry about that later. Now come on inside out of this cold. Have you all had lunch yet? I have some soup left if you are hungry."

"That would be good Ma. We have not eaten yet."

Elizabeth hurried up beside Mabel and said, "Let me help you Mrs Fielding."

"Pshaw girl. I do not need no hep and you can call me Mabel. Now come on inside and we can visit while I throw something together. You men folks just sit in the parlor and wait. Mary, you come on and sit with us ladies while we get something around for these men folk."

After they had eaten Tony said, "We can put Hiram and Mary in one of the rooms over the store and Jack in the other one can't we Ma? Elizabeth and I will take grandpa's rooms in back if that is ok with you and Pa."

"I am sure that will be fine with him. We do not use them now."

"Come on then, men. Let's unload the supplies into the store and get the stoves going then we will move your things into the building. We will figure out what needs to be done and get started tomorrow."

They spent the rest of the day unloading and arranging supplies and personal items. About two hours after they started Tony's father and younger brother showed up to help. The women took that opportunity to go into the house and start cooking supper. The men all caught up on news as they worked. Just as they finished unloading, Lisa called them to supper.

The conversation at the table was spirited as everyone got to know the new additions to the family. Finally everyone was done eating and Tony's father pushed back from the supper table. He looked at Tony and said, "You look like you are in pain son. You have been walking with a limp and it has gotten worse all afternoon. What is wrong with you?"

"I was injured on San Juan Hill Pa. The doc said I would always walk poorly and will not get any better. If I use my leg much it hurts and if I walk a lot I get so I cannot move hardly at all. I do not know if I can be much help on the farm or not but I will try."

"I was afeared of that when I seen ya. We been gettin by but could use help from time to time. Well, we will see what ya can do. It has been a long day and tomorrow comes early. I am going to turn in."

Tony and his group sat and watched as the women cleaned up the dishes then they all went over to the store and their rooms there.

The next morning Tony took Jake and Hiram to the shed at the side of the store and showed them the area. "This is where the old blacksmith worked. It is not as good a setup as you had in Philly. Can you make it do until we can build you a better shop?"

Jake looked around and said, "This will work fine, son. We might have to add on some but I think I can work just fine here. We will unload the tools and get set up."

At noon the men went into the store but found no one so they went to Tony's parent's house. The women had a large meal prepared and were waiting on the men to show up to eat. Soon Tony's father and brother arrived and they all sat to table.

After the meal the women cleaned up while the men returned to their work. Shortly, Elizabeth came and found Tony. She wrapped her arm around his and said, "Tony, could you come with me for a moment please?" She led him around the building and into the store.

Tony looked around and said, "It looks as if you have been busy. You have almost all the new items stacked on shelves and put away. I do not remember this old store ever looking this organized."

Elizabeth smiled and said, "Tony, you know I worked in a store back in Pennsylvania. Can I open this one and we can run it? I do not know how many customers we would have but I could help earn my way if you let me do that."

"Honey you already earn your keep just by being my wife and caring for me but if you want to do that I do not have a problem with it. I can help you and Pa and Jake if needs be and I can work our little plot of ground too. We can make a good life here I think."

There was not much to do on the farm except care for the animals as it was mid January so Tony spent most of his days helping Jack or Elizabeth. To his surprise both the store and the Smithy were doing a lot of business. So much so, in fact, he decided to take a trip with two wagons to Joplin to pick up more supplies to sell in the store and some items Jack wanted for the Smithy. He took Hiram to drive the second team and they left early one Monday morning near the first of February 1899.

The 40 mile drive to Joplin took them two and a half days and it was so cold they didn't camp outside either night. The first night was spent in Neosho, the second in a barn just outside Joplin in a little town called Saginaw. They pulled into Joplin just short of noon and decided to have lunch before beginning their shopping. It took the rest of that day and most of the next morning to make their purchases and load the wagons. They decided not to leave until the day after.

The fully loaded wagons didn't make as good a time on the return trip so it was near noon on the ninth day after leaving before they returned to Roland. It was full dark before the items purchased for the store were unloaded and stocked properly. They left the wagon load for the smithy until the next day.

Just before they were to begin turning the soil for spring planting Tony and Hiram made another trip to Joplin for supplies, this time mainly items needed for planting. They brought several types of seed, machinery parts, harness, and so forth. Of course they also brought food items for stocking the store.

Elizabeth was doing a very good business in the store and was even doing some barter work so she could stock fresh eggs and a little milk and butter she traded the local ladies for.

In mid February Tony worked up a small plot of ground for oats and turned a plot for a huge garden for the extended family. As he expected, he had a lot of trouble walking and following the mule and plow but, in spite of his pain, he got it done. One of the purchases he made on his last trip to Joplin was a new fangled plow called a Sulkey Plow. It had two large wheels and a seat for the operator to sit on with the plow underneath. With this implement, Tony was able to help with the field work without unduly stressing his legs.

The plow worked so well, he had Jack put a seat on their disc harrow so he could ride it to smooth the field before seeding. He was so disgusted with his father's old planter and drill he made a special trip to purchase a Deere Mansur corn planter and a new Deere seed drill. All these purchases completely used the money he had saved but they were easy to use and allowed him to ride the implement so he could help with the farming. The corn planter was so accurate they got a better stand of corn and used less seed so it paid for itself soon. He felt as if the machinery was well worth the price he paid,

Tony even managed to do some custom planting work for neighbors with his new equipment. He took a crop share of 25% at the end of the season for his help. This extra grain was taken to the mill near Steelville and ground into flour and meal which they then sold in their store.

The next two years were prosperous for the Fieldings. Their little store did well as did their crops. In the fall of 1901 Tony had taken a load of corn to the grist mill for grinding. They were now converting all the grain they grew to wheat flour, cornmeal or animal feed then selling it in their store. When he arrived at the mill, it was not working. He could not find the miller anywhere on the premises. He went next door to the miller's house looking for him. Charity, the miller's wife answered to his knock and just stood looking at Tony.

Tony could tell Charity had been crying and said, "i am sorry to bother you Ma'am but I cannot find Harold in the mill. I have a load of corn to grind."

Charity began crying once more and said, "I am sorry Mr. Fielding. I do not know what to tell you. My Harold done died on me last night. The doctor said he had a heart attack. I am afraid there is no one to grind your meal unless you want to take it to Wheatland or Neosho."

"I am very sorry for your loss Ma'am. If we can do anything to help let me know. When are the services anyway?"

Through her sniffles Charity said, "Thank you sir, I will. We will have the services tomorrow. Now good day sir." With that she turned back into her now forever empty house and her sorrow. Tony knew she faced a bleak future as times were still rough for a single woman with no man to care for her.

Tony walked slowly back to his wagon and returned home. During the nearly three mile drive he thought about the miller's wife, her bleak future, and the inconvenience the area faced if the farmers had to grind their own grain by hand or haul it several more miles to a mill. By the time he made it home he had an inkling of a plan in mind. Of course for his plan to come to fruition he had to convince Elizabeth it was a good one and get the cooperation of the miller's widow.