The Invisible Girl

Story Info
An April fools prank brings a couple together.
53.2k words
4.65
32.9k
82
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note: I submitted this story for the April Fools Contest but failed due to haste to re-read and edit it properly. I learned a valuable lesson. I received quite a few encouraging comments and critiques, and a few not so productive. I have edited and corrected the things that were pointed out and also some glaring errors in consistency and spelling I found along the way, things I usually am very fastidious about. The following is the story I wanted to submit. It has love scenes where appropriate but is primarily a story about an extraordinary couple who's love affair is very moving. Please give it another read. I know it is long, it was a story that took a life of its own and I went along for the ride until it was told. I hope this edited version restores my reputation....a little.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*

Andrew looked forward to the April Fool's party that was hosted every year by the men's dorm known as Roland Hall. It was a party open to the whole campus and was attended by a large number of the students, male and female. It was a non-thematic costume party, meaning you could wear whatever you wanted and many of the girls wore 'skimpy' or less. The party had a reputation of free flowing beer and hot running women. It was also known for its epic pranks.

Andrew didn't usually like beer parties but he did like women so the fact that there would be a lot of women at this party and they would likely be scantily clad and a little tipsy piqued his interest. He thought maybe he would be able to meet a woman he could date for a while, or at least once...maybe.

All the guys thought he was a big stud, and Andrew did nothing to dispel that reputation. He was 5' 10" with broad shoulders and a thin waist. He weighed 195 pounds stark naked. He had boxed in High school and did pretty well, undefeated in his weight class but had hurt his hand before the finals and had to forfeit the championship. He had an instinct for pugilism, he seemed to be able to read what his opponent was about to do. He wasn't sure how, he just knew. He knew he could have won, for he had beat the guy who won the championship every year before. But he was glad to be done with boxing, He liked playing the cello better and you needed healthy hands for that.

He was good looking, at least that was what the few girls he dated told him. He had sandy blond hair that bleached out to almost platinum in the summer sun and pale blue eyes. But in spite of all the physical attributes, Andrew had a secret: He was a really nice guy and... he was a virgin. He had only dated casually in High School and never got close enough to a girl to want to have sex with her. Correction: he wanted to have sex but he never got to know a girl well enough to actually have that happen.

Andrew was not interested in the girls that were what all the guys called 'easy', the ones who practically threw themselves at you. He was brought up to believe that sex was special and was ideally saved for your life partner. It was a little old fashioned but he believed that was the best way. As the most intimate of human interactions it should at the very least be held in highest esteem, a precious commodity. Still he knew the strong urging, the pull from within his loins, the heat of lust that never quite went away every minute of his young life.

Preparations for the party had begun at the beginning of semester. The guys at Roland Hall (they called them selves the Roland Rollers) used the student rumor mill to spread the word about details to expect since the party was just barely authorized. The University had a no alcohol policy that was loosely enforced and there had been past pranks that went wrong landing the University in the news papers. Still the administration had come short of forbidding the party as it would almost certainly drive the event completely underground, or worse off campus where there would be no controls or enforcement whatsoever.

The rumors promised lots of beer, drugs, loud music, lewd games and contests, nudity, and sex. In many ways it was just the kind of thing Andrew usually avoided, he wasn't really interested in any of those things except the nudity and sex and he visualized himself participating pretty much as a voyeur. But there would be nice girls there too, who, like himself, merely wanted to have at least one wild college party under their belt and let down their hair at the end of a year of hard work and diligent study. God, that was something he needed!

Andrew lived at home to save money but some of his friends lived in the dorm and were in on the planning representing the Freshmen Rollers on the committee. Paul was one of them. Andrew and Paul had been friends in high school. Paul's family moved during his senior year but Paul was allowed to stay behind with his uncle to graduate with his friends. He had already been accepted at the University but had to sign up for on-campus residence.

Paul was Andrew's friend but he could be an asshole. He was the football star in high school and got a scholarship to play for the University. He was very confident in his value as an athlete and his value to women. He was a little conceited and wasn't happy being stuck in one of the general population dorms, but to his credit, he took it in stride and joined in dorm life and in a leadership role at that. That really didn't surprise Andrew because Paul was a leader. For good or ill, people looked to him to take control and lead the way. Andrew followed too, but he wasn't completely confident in Paul's wisdom and goals. Most of the time the things he did were self serving and that bothered Andrew.

One of the traditional games/pranks that occurred every year intrigued Andrew, though he felt guilty that he wanted to participate in it. It was basically a set up to give men and women a chance to fondle and grope members of the opposite sex without any expectations or consequences. It was called "the Dark Room". All the rooms at Roland were arranged in Suites two dorm rooms attached by toilet and shower facilities. Several rooms were set up with every source of light blacked out.

A random boy was ushered into the room through one suite and a girl was admitted through the other suite then left to themselves for 15 minutes. The pair was given a two minute warning of the end of their allotted time then required to separate and subsequently escorted out when the period was done, Simple, easy, no guilt, no consequences since you didn't know who you were with. It was forbidden to talk, and to actually have coitus, but everything else was up to the individuals.

Today was April 1 and Andrew had two exams today. The party was tomorrow night April 2nd, It was beyond ironic that this week was midterms, postponed 2 weeks by the University due to the freezing weather and snow. APRIL FOOLS! Andrew hoped that he didn't get any "surprises" that would turn him into an April Fool. He was a good student and usually got 'A's and 'B's but the classes today had really been rough.

As a music major, most people, especially his buddies, thought he was dogging it in an "easy" major. They had never taken Music Theory! The music theory classes were the most difficult classes he had every taken! The complexity and depth of the subject escaped the casual listener. Andrew was glad he had taken a college prep course in high school, otherwise he would have certainly flunked out. The topic was so deep and the profs went so fast it was a struggle even for him, who had participated in Orchestra and Choir since he was 10. Other less prepared music students had either dropped out or changed majors.

Andrew started playing the piano when he was seven and then took the cello when he was in 4th grade. He loved it so much he decided he wanted to go into music education. He wanted to be a music teacher, probably at the secondary level. He didn't care if it was orchestra or choir or both, he just knew that was what he wanted to do. Music was such an important part of the human experience. The Greeks ranked it equal with Math and philosophy.

He had his music theory midterm at 8 A.M. and it was sure to be a bear! It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't count for a full 1/3rd of his grade, the final due end of May and daily work (that was literally 'daily') counted the other 2/3rds. He loved music theory and and had considered changing to being a musicologist, which he could still do at the graduate level. But it would all be for naught if he didn't do well in his music theory exams.

The other exam he had today at 1:00 P.M. was Chemistry 101, a basic ed. requirement and also a 'must pass' to graduate. He wasn't as worried about it, he had enjoyed the class and seemed to be able to "get it" without having to struggle. But there had been surprises in other classes so he didn't take it for granted. He just wished the University would try to spread out the big ones more. Impossible to do, supposedly.

The Music Theory exam went well, he thought, but he still worried. There were so many opportunities to blow it: notating figured bass, harmonic analysis & dictation, interval recognition, Rhythmic dictation, Form analysis. He was exhausted and headed for the SUB to get some coffee and a pastry, to relax and maybe catch a 10 minute nap. He entered the SUB and headed for the food pavilion.

"Andrew, whats happening bro!" He rolled his eyes. He didn't want to talk to anyone, and especially not Ed. Ed was a nice guy and a friend but he wouldn't shut up!

There was never a quiet moment Ed wouldn't fill. If he didn't have anything to say he would start beat box sounds with his mouth, or playing air guitar again with his mouth. Andrew was usually able to ignore it but not today.

"Hi, Ed. I have exams today. You know I would like to talk but I need some chill time, OK?"

Ed didn't take the hint. "Oh okay, lets get some coffee and I'll keep you company."

"Shit" Andrew said under his breath, "No really, Ed I need some quiet."

"Yeah, Yeah I get it." But he didn't 'get it' he just kept talking. "Did you hear the latest prank for the party? They are going to do sudden reveals in one of the dark rooms. Get one of the dweeb girls like Mary Dynfield or Emily Buxton and dorky guys like Phil Jessup and Tim Sheldon, together then turn on the light and get a quick video. Hilarious, right?"

"Yeah, hilarious," said Andrew sarcastically. He looked at Ed, who thought he was really agreeing, "NOT! Shit Ed, that's terrible! How is that funny - to humiliate people like that?"

"It just is, as long as it isn't me. It'll be epic, man, come on! Where is your sense of humor?

"I think that is horrible and I want not part of it!"

"Well, OK, wow man, so judgmental." Ed looked crestfallen but he turned and said, "I have to go, good luck in your exams."

"Sure." Andrew breathed a sigh of relief and got his coffee and donut then went to find a quiet area. He set the alarm on his phone so he wouldn't accidentally sleep into the next exam and settled in. He considered the prank that Ed had mentioned and it worried him to be present at such a terrible violation of personal privacy and trust. Besides it was just mean spirited! "I really shouldn't go," he said to himself but his 'little head' took precedent, "This is our opportunity to feel boobs and maybe other things for ourselves." The thought made him hard. Andrew looked around and discreetly adjusted his pants.

Exams over, and Andrew felt good! He went home and was welcomed by his mom, "How did your exams go today?" She asked as he kissed her on the cheek.

"Great, I'm really confident about Chemistry and moderately confident about theory, Holy Crap it was rough."

"I'm sure you did well, you prepared adequately judging by the hours you were practicing you rhythms and all that other stuff."

Andrew smiled. His mom was not a musician. She sang in choirs and maybe could read music, he could never really pin her down on that but she didn't know much beyond that, except that she loved music of all kinds. She was the typical consumer upon which the music business and musicians depended and served.

"Hey Mom, do you know who Emily Buxton is? I heard her name today and it sounds familiar."

"Why, what did you hear?" She had an edge of concern in her voice.

"Oh nothing, Her name just came up in conversation, I think I should know her but I can't place why."

"You should know her, you have been in classes with her since Kindergarten."

"Really?"

"Yes, Andrew, Be careful with her, she has had a terrible childhood and is very fragile."

"Why, what happened?"

"What hasn't happened to that poor child."

"Tell me." Andrew was concerned now.

"Well," It looked like his mom was trying to decide whether she should tell him or not. Then she dried her hands and sat at the table with him.

"You must never share what I am telling you, it is very personal information, but I think you can handle it properly." Andrew nodded agreement. His mom nodded her head once. "Her mom died giving her birth. The family is large, all boys until she was born. They are dirt poor, and I mean literally not knowing where their next meal would come from poor. Her Dad kind of went off the deep end when her mom died and crawled into a bottle and has been drunk ever since, They had inherited their home and property or they would be homeless. The boys have grown up undisciplined and unchecked doing anything they want. Some of the older ones moved out and a few are in prison. She wouldn't have clothes except churches have given them clothing and food. Our church has given them food every Holiday and sweet Emily always smiles and says 'Thank you' so quietly you can barely hear her. She's like a crushed flower. But I understand she did well in school and got scholarships to attend University. If you see her, be a friend, Andrew." As Andrew's mom spoke she began to get tears in her eye, a clue that she had not told him the half of it.

"Jesus," Andrew said. He didn't usually say that name as an expletive but he said it now more as a prayer, "I had no idea."

"Please don't say anything to anyone. Your Dad knows some of this from his job. And the rest I know from volunteering at church...it is all confidential. But I think I can trust you. Look out for her, Andrew, she needs friends like you." She wiped her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt.

Andrew's Dad was the Chief Executive at Family Services, but he had worked up through the ranks. He was a case worker when Andrew was born and due to his diligence, honesty and integrity he had at last found himself running the local office with the appropriate salary. His Mom had been a financial advisor but after Andrew was born, the youngest of three - a brother and a sister, she opted to be a stay at home Mom. She loved the domestic life but kept several loyal accounts and managed them from her home office. It kept her in money enough for some of her personal needs but mostly she liked to help people who were in need. The Buxton's were one of her favorite, as Andrew would learn later, he guessed because of Emily.

Andrew mulled over this information and he began to get a feeling of dread. Ed had mentioned her by name as an intended target for this prank they were planning. He burned with anger and thought about what he could do to prevent any further damage to this girl he couldn't even remember.

He suddenly remembered a scene, a brief moment in time, an event in 4th grade, a girl in his class he couldn't remember her name, or what she looked like, but she was shabbily dressed, her hair was always a mess and she smelled. No wait, not only was her hair a mess but it stuck out every which way and had looked like it had been cut with lawn clippers. All he could remember of her was an image, a slumping shadow never looking up, never speaking out. The only time she was called on was when a substitute teacher was there and she never answered. All the kids would laugh. They called her ENEMA! For God's sake! That must have been her! Andrew started to get tears in his eyes and then a flush of guilt. He had joined in! He felt so guilty he just about couldn't stand it.

It wasn't something he normally did but he had to tell someone, "Mom..."

She looked up from the sink with the 'I'm Listening' look. She noticed the tears in her son's eyes but didn't let on. She knew that most boys were embarrassed to cry and she was actually proud that he had a tender heart and could cry when appropriate. "Mom, I need to tell you something that I did that .....I'm ashamed of..."

"Oh?" She said and returned to the table with him and looked at him intently.

He wasn't sure he could tell her, she was looking right into his heart, she had that way. "I......when I was in fourth grade, I remember a little girl in our class that nobody liked, she wore rags and smelled like she never got a bath. Mom, We called her 'enema'! It had to be Emily!" Andrew couldn't say more. He found himself weeping with shame. "I'm so ashamed, Mom, what can I do?"

His Mom got up and held her son, of course it was disturbing to learn that he did such a thing but she smiled because she saw that his heart realized the hurt he had caused and was now breaking over it, He was a good boy, a good young man. They had raised a good young man.

"Sh, sh, sh...That was wrong and cruel but it was a long time ago, I'm proud that you recognize what you did and that you know you would never do that again. Don't be so hard on yourself, I forgive you and I think that Emily would forgive you, too."

"Mom, the worst part of it is, I don't remember anything else about her. She must have been in classes all through school and I don't have one single memory of her....at all! I could run into her on campus and wouldn't know who she was. How can that be?"

"I don't know, maybe you weren't looking."

His Mom was probably right. Her forgiveness made him feel better, but the hole in his memory of the last 13 1/2 years of school bothered him. He went to his room and pulled out his year books but in year after year Emily Buxton was in the "Not Pictured" list. Even in group pictures she was absent. He looked in the index and found out she had been in the choir and the band listed in the flute section but on the music department pages again the same thing - "not pictured".

"It's like she was invisible," Andrew observed.

Then life encroached on his search and he was on to other things. Mid-terms were done, thank God, but there were term projects that needed to have rough drafts submitted next week and he still needed to do some research. He would have to go back to the Music Library on campus for some listening research in the Music Lab after dinner.

In the mean time he considered what costume to wear to the party tomorrow night.

He had wanted to do a toga but it seemed that everyone was going to do that, no doubt, so he considered what other options he had. It had to be unrestrictive and yet not indecent. He suspected some of the guys and maybe even some fo the girls would be practically nude. He opted for the toga, he didn't have enough time or energy to come up with something more clever. Maybe a mask over the eyes of some type.

He secured the use of an older sheet that his Mom no longer used on beds but had saved for painting drop covers and tried a few folds. He did a web search and found a great number of "How to fold a Toga" tutorials so he was confidant he could get a satisfactory costume in almost no time

After dinner he told his Mom where he was headed and why.

"Don't be out too late tonight you don't want to be too tired for tomorrow night," His Mom smiled slyly.