La Cenerentola

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Twelve bathrooms? Just for you?"

"And any guests I might have. Which reminds me, you were going to have your university friends for your party on Saturday. Instead of the little house, why not here?"

"How would my friends get here?"

"I could hire a coach to get them here and back to the university."

"But I was going to prepare nibbles..."

"I'm sure my staff could that."

"Staff? How many staff?"

"Let me think? At the moment, the butler, the housekeeper, the cook, three maids, the gardener and two assistants. I think that's it. While the builders have been working, they've been taking it easy, just cleaning up after the builders' mess each day."

I stopped the Bentley under the front porch. The Butler came out to meet us.

"Good afternoon, Sir, and Miss Foster."

"You know who I am?" Angelina was startled.

"Yes, Miss Foster. All of us have seen you in the Operatic society and the university's productions. We have had the piano in the music room tuned this week.""

"Mr Hughes, could have tea in the music room in half an hour?"

"Certainly sir."

We went through the foyer to a large marble staircase leading down. Angelina gasped when we emerged into the music room.

"It's enormous!"

"It is. It, and the art gallery above were Victorian additions, The then owners built it for a full orchestra."

It was about twice the size of the hall where the Operatic Society met. The stage was large enough for a complete orchestra. There were seats stacked around the walls for about a hundred people. In the centre of the stage was a large grand piano. As I expected Angelina went straight to it.

"A concert grand! Can I play it?"

Of course. That's what it's for."

"It's a Bechstein!"

"What else would I have?"

Angelina turned around from the piano and hugged me.

"This is fantastic.!"

"A few months ago, it wasn't. The roof of the main house was leaking, some of the walls were sagging and this part had been unused for fifty years. The builders have done an excellent job, but it has taken nine months since I got approval from the historic buildings authority."

We were standing on the stage. Angelina's hands were on the piano lid, preparing to open it.

I got down on my knees and took one of Angelina's hands.

"Angelina? Will you marry me and be the lady of the manor?" I asked.

"You're serious, Tony? It's not an April Fool joke?"

"No. It's not a joke. It is your birthday, so it was an appropriate time. Will you marry me?"

"I'd feel like La Cenerentola, marrying the Prince."

"No, you won't, Angelina. I've seen your parents' house. It is not as large as this, but it is substantial. And they have a Butler too..."

"You've been to my parents' house?"

"And formally asked for your father's permission. I showed him pictures of this house. He approves, not of the house, but me. So, please, will you?"

Angelina hugged me.

"Yes Tony, I will."

I produced a small box from my pocket.

"This was my grandmother's engagement ring. Will you wear it?"

"If it fits."

"It will. I compared it to a ring you wore as La Cenerentola."

It fitted. Angelina held it up to her face and looked at it.

"Is that a real diamond?"

"Of course. My grandmother wouldn't have accepted it if it wasn't."

"It's enormous. How much is it worth?"

"I've no idea because of its age. But it is insured for ten thousand pounds..."

"Ten thousand pounds? I am engaged to the Prince."

We laughed.

"There's one thing I might miss."

"What's that Angelina?"

"My own kitchen. My mother was never allowed to cook at home. That would upset the cook. But in the little house I had my own kitchen, I loved that."

"And you were a great cook. If you want, we could add an Angelina kitchen here, or my cook isn't so protective. She'd probably let you use the kitchen."

"It wouldn't be the same. I loved that house and kitchen."

"OK, Angelina. It's a useful place to stay if we are going out in the evenings in the city. Would you like that house as a wedding present?"

"A house as a wedding present? You aren't comfortable. You're rich, Tony."

"It is the smallest of my properties. If we keep it, it won't really affect my income."

+++

Angelina's twenty-first birthday party was also her engagement party. I hadn't told her, but I had hired the best rock group locally. The student guests enjoyed themselves. While the group had a break between sessions, Angelina and I sang Rossini arias, not just from La Cenerentola. For some of them I played the Bechstein; for others she did.

Now that the music room had been renovated, the Operatic Society met there and about one evening a month we had recitals by visiting artists with an invited audience. Often Angelina and I would sing too.

We set our wedding date for Angelia's twenty-second birthday. It took that long with all the extended families to be present together with the students and the Operatic Society. The reception was in the music room.

I had brought in professional caterers to help our staff.

But from the April 1st that I had proposed on Angelina's birthday, and she had accepted, we were living together, in term time weeks in the little house and weekends at the mansion. It would be the same during the next academic year as Angelina did her year's teacher training.

Angelina was right to keep the small house. It was where we had first stared to live together, and we could be ourselves there and enjoy having a professional staff at weekends.

I was very pleased that I had proposed to Angelina on an April Fools' Day.

12